Valkyrie

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hubs and I had a date night last Wednesday evening and after watching an episode of The Black Adder while we ate, we settled on watching Valkyrie. I wasn't overly keen as I didn't really know much about it and it sounded like a movie I'd have to think about while watching it. But it turned out to be a great film.

I actually kept forgetting that I was watching Tom Cruise, (who I'm not entirely hating right now) Eddie Izzard, (I knew I knew him but didn't recognise him without the outrageous clothes and make up!) the old drunk musician, Billy Mack, ("Don't buy drugs kids. Become a rockstar and you get them for freeeee") aka Bill Nighy from Love Actually, and the old, straight guy from The Full Monty. I think this suggests some kind of success and achievement in a movie - for the story to be so engaging, that you forget you're watching one of the most highly-paid actors in Hollywood.

I got so caught up in the story and became immersed in the characters' lives. Although I knew how it was going to end (well, how it wasn't going to end) it kept me in suspense the whole time. And I do love a movie based on (however loosely) a true story. I was also concerned that it would focus on the grotesque nature of war, but it didn't have to - the story was good enough on it's own, that it didn't need that shock value.

I'd give it 4 stars out of 5 and highly recommend it.

3 comments: to “ Valkyrie so far...