It's not you, it's me.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Often the things that annoy you in others, are things you see in yourself."

I have NO idea where I first read that, but I totally related to it then, and I have ever since.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. For some reason, my patience has been a bit light-on for a while now, and I've been finding myself getting annoyed at things that wouldn't normally annoy me, and then getting annoyed at myself, for being annoyed. And that is really annoying!!

To try and combat this, I've been trying to work out exactly what is annoying me in a situation, and reasoning with myself: Is this worth getting frustrated over? Is the issue, in fact, my own? Am I getting annoyed at this person, or the behaviour? Would I act the same way if I were in their shoes?

This line of reasoning sometimes helps (if, in fact, I remember to do it and not just get carried away with my feelings and thoughts and get upset and annoyed and frustrated and.... where was I?...) and I feel I am reconnecting with my patient self. Then today I stumbled across this quote:

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves." (Carl Jung)

And I like this idea a LOT more. It takes away the feeling of frustration, at both the person for being annoying, and at myself for feeling like I have the same character trait that is annoying me in the first place. Instead, it gives me the suggestion to get to know myself better, and to understand who Wifey really is. And she's not such a bad gal.

I told you! This journey of self-discovery is going to be a lonnnnnnnnnnnng one.

0 comments: to “ It's not you, it's me. so far...