Gone Fishin'

Saturday, May 15, 2010

A couple of weekends ago, we organised for a group of us to go on a fishing charter with Hubs' Uncle Wayne. Uncle Wayne and Aunty Alida have been running this business for years (decades??) and we have been meaning to go on a charter with Wayne since we got here. So we FINALLY got around to setting a date aside. My friend Beth was visiting for the weekend, so I tentatively invited her along. I say tentatively, as the last time Beth and I went on a fishing charter, we spent most of the 4 hours hanging over the side of the boat, providing burley for the rest of the fishermen/women. But we weren't perturbed by our last experience (I'm not sure how!), even after receiving a call from Wayne in the morning saying it was a bit rough out on the water that day. We thought "let's just do it!!" and so we rendezvoused with the group at 12:45pm and set off.

It was such a beautiful day - bright blue sunshine! - but it was quite windy, so Wayne headed for more sheltered waters, and we cast our lines and waited. We didn't have to wait long before we got some bites, and Beth caught the fist fish of the day - a pink snapper, or "pinkie" as they call them. Though, she wasn't so impressed with getting up close and personal!


It wasn't big enough to keep, so off it went, back in the drink. She did however catch the only "keeper" for the day a bit later on - a nice little flathead that we all had a little taste of for dinner that night. I had had lots of bites and my line felt quite heavy, but it wasn't putting up a fight. I thought I might have myself either a log-fish or a crab. I was wrong!


Yes, that's right folks. I caught myself a star fish. A first for me!! Hee hee. Quite a few of us were catching fish, but none of them were big enough to keep :-(

Hubs and his catch





Wifey, convinced she'd caught the same fish as Hubs


Luke and Grae, catching... ummm..... not much at all! :-)

Uncle Wayne cooking up a storm for us on the BBQ

Beer + Friends + Fishing = Awesomeness!







Melbourne really turned on some great weather for us, and thanks to travel sickness tablets, ginger tablets and ginger beer, Bethie and I didn't provide any burley for the trip. Hooray! We're so glad we managed this before moving out to Wang. Something else to cross off our "to do" list!

0 comments: to “ Gone Fishin' so far...