Skype

Friday, May 28, 2010

Okay, so I'll be the first to admit, I'm often a little behind the times when it comes to certain things. Sometimes it takes me ages to give something new a go. And then when I try it and love it, I want to tell everyone how amazing it is.

Take Skype for example. Now, I know that Skype has been around since about 2003 (thanks Wiki) and it's been something I've been meaning to set up, but just never got around to it. Calling cards from Australia are always so cheap so I've never bothered much about other forms of communication. Until the stupid calling cards, in their infinite wisdom, changed the validity of the card from 12 months to 6 months, and now 3 months! I went to call my dear friend in the States a couple of weeks ago, only to be told the $8 remaining on my $10 card (my last 45 minute phone call had cost a mere $2) had expired a week before.

Enough was enough. I asked Hubs (very nicely of course) if he could please install Skype on our computer (well, one of them). And it was done! A week later (yesterday), I was chatting to my dear friend in the States and it was as if we were in the same room! We were only using the voice function as we don't have a webcam, but that will change soon, as Hubs is on the case!

So the verdict: Skype is awesome! You should give it a try some time!!!!*


*Expected response to this last statement: "Uh yeah Wifey, we've been using Skype for 5 years dude. Weren't we the ones who told you to try it ages ago?"

2 comments: to “ Skype so far...

  •  

    So crazy flatmate used to use skype all the time to talk to friends in england using her computer. possibly in webcam mode as well. Not knowing anyone overseas I really had a need to talk to and having unlimited domestic calls never saw a point to skype for myself.

    Then when in Germany bank kept sending emails/texts saying I had to call them (should have told them I was going overseas whoops!) Didn't want card cut off so had to call, but didn't want to pay EXORBITANT roaming fees. Asked mate in Germany if he had skype on his computer I could use suddenly remembering it's apparent cheap calling possibilities.

    While doing so, was pointed out that there's a skype iphone app, so skype + iphone + wifi = cheap phonecall, using your phone! Means you already have speakers and mikes in sensible places and aren't yelling at your computer like some kind of crazy person.

    If you haven't yet, install skype on your iphone it's great!

    Also meant while sitting bored in Singapore airport for 3 hours (which has free wifi) could call people to pass the time too :)

  •  

    Jacques and I wanted to add you, but we couldn't find you. Email me (ssfoottit@gmail.com) your skype name? Or add me :P

    We rely on skype so much. We used to do calling cards too because a lot of fam in South-Africa don't have internet, but we've convinced them all now. So Saturday and Sunday nights have become skype the family nights :P