The Alderman

Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Beer

Hubs and I were invited out last Saturday night to a going away party for one of the current college residents. She's off to live at Oxford University in England for a few years which is all very posh and exciting. For those of you who aren't Queenslanders or who hate the footy (shame on you) you may not be aware that the Brisbane Broncos played against the Melbourne Storm in the NRL semi-finals. And being a HUGE Broncos fan, I really wanted to watch the game. In Melbourne, the only time they will EVER broadcast the NRL is if Melbourne are playing, so I was very excited that we were going to a pub for the night!

Alas, when we arrived, it wasn't a "pub" as much as a "trendy la-di-da bar with fancy-pants coctails and ritzy beers on offer". (It's not so fancy that it has it's own website though!) So I had to rely on my good friends Adele and Neil who were at the game in Brisbane to give me updates! Unfortunately the Storm were too good in the end, but this post was supposed to be about The Alderman! See what happens when you get me started on the Broncos??!!

Right. Where was I? Ah yes. One of Melbourne's lovely little bars that you wouldn't look twice at walking down the street, but is well worth the visit. Hubs and I had champagne (okay okay, it was sparkling white) and had a lovely time getting to know our fellow Newmanites off-campus. It was an old Victorian house (or 2) that had been converted into a bar and restaurant with a gorgeous little area out the back that would be best visited in the warmer months. It even had a dart board that kept the boys entertained while us girls talked about girly things together.

I just feel like there are all these amazing places to discover, but we just don't know where to start! Local knowledge is the key! I wish I had some photos to share with you, but maybe next time!

2 comments: to “ The Alderman so far...

  •  

    How'd you like that post-match wet-willie I got Frith to pass on? It was actually in response to you getting Adele to punch my arm, but hey, a couple of days late just adds to the suspense - you NEVER know when I'll strike! (via Frith)

  •  

    Hi Renae,

    As it turns out, as long as you left the Alderman by 12, you could have caught the half-past-midnight ultra-ultra-delayed telecast.

    david
    (grrr - channel nine)