A convert

Monday, August 3, 2009

I never used to like her. I thought she was crass and, let's face it, a little skanky. Singing rude song with rude lyrics - she just wasn't a singer I was in to. In fact, when my cousin's told me they were going to see her live a few months ago in Brizzie, I kind of scoffed a bit and thought "better you than me."

But, surprise surprise, I've changed my mind. I do this a LOT, mainly with small decisions and generally insignificant things in my life.

I love Lily Allen.

Okay. I love her music. I find her lyrics witty and charming and clever and HILARIOUS. Even though she sings some rude songs, I now find them endearing instead of offensive. Hubs included her album "It's not me, it's you" on our playlist for driving across the states, and now I just can't get enough of it. I currently have one of her songs in my head, with my favourite line:

I don't want anything more
Than to see your face when you open the door
You'll make me beans on toast and a nice cup of tea
And we'll get Chinese and watch TV

Doesn't that just paint the sweetest picture? Who WOULD want more than that?

We've been listening to her other album Alright Still since we've been home, and Hubs prefers that album, but I think cos I cut my teeth on "It's not me, it's you", it has become my favourite. Hubs and I (particularly Hubs) like that she still has her common British accent when she sings - dropping her "t"'s (Everyone's at it becomes everyone's aa ii; better becomes beh-ah etc). Hilarious! I'm glad I was open-minded enough (eventually) to give her music a good listen. It wouldn't be everyone's taste, but it's certainly mine!

Loving it!

0 comments: to “ A convert so far...