Technology can be a bitch

Thursday, November 18, 2010

So as you know, I've had my run-ins with various technological gadgets and gizmos, with mixed results. I think I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to trying new programs, e.g. for our music and photos, and if I'm shown how to use something once or twice (sometimes 3 or 4 times) I can usually pick it up pretty easily. And out of all the gadgets in my life that were going to be the next to potentially cause me grief, the last thing I expected it to be was my mobile phone.

I like my phone. It's a slidey Nokia that I acquired off Hubs when I gave him the iPhone I got with my plan 2 years ago. I didn't think I had much need for an iPhone and I knew Hubs really wanted one, so we swapped. This phone has been so good to me. I can use it with my eyes closed it's so simple.

So yesterday I decided, for some reason, (maybe cos I have all this time on my hands) to make my phone more "adult", particularly my contacts list. Instead of having contact names like "Hubs Mob" or separating "Mum & Dad Mob" and "Mum and Dad Home" I grouped all the numbers together and got rid of duplicates. I also changed names like "Erika Med" (hello!!!) to her full name, and for some people, if I thought I would wonder in a few months who on earth they were, I put a little note with their contact. Like for our Real Estate agent, I put "Real Estate" in her notes section. I also made sure all the mobile numbers were listed as mobile numbers, and home numbers as such. It took about 2 hours all up and I was so happy with my work.

As I was going to bed last night, I thought about how all my contacts are stored on my phone, and how if I lost my phone, the contacts would be lost too. So I decided to move them over to my sim card instead, as Optus backs up your sim card for you on their database so if you lose your phone, you don't lose your data. Great idea right? RIGHT??? Wrong.

What I should have done is told Hubs what I was about to do and he would have said "sim cards can only hold 1 number for each contact so if you do that, it will split them all up again." Why oh WHY did I not tell Hubs I was about to be clever and do this! I pressed "OK" thinking I was so clever, only to be horrified 5 minutes later when I browsed through my contacts. Instead of having, for example "Mum & Dad" I had "Mum & Dad1", "Mum & Dad2" and that was for everyone with more than 1 contact detail, including the notes. All the mobile phone numbers had been changed to general numbers. All my notes were attached to contacts separately. I just couldn't believe all my hard work had been tossed out the window.

In my despair I told Hubs I wanted a new phone. This may have been a little over-dramatic, but it was late and I was annoyed. I think the worse thing about this situation is that I thought I was being really clever, you know? I thought I was making my life easier. I should have known better.

Technology 1, Wifey 0.

2 comments: to “ Technology can be a bitch so far...