Oh the irony

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Last night, Chanbe slept through. And I don't mean the technical version of sleeping through which is a 5 hour block. I mean, he didn't wake up. But I did. He went to sleep around 8:30pm and was a bit restless, so I assumed we were in for another usual night of waking up every 2 hours. I crashed around 11pm thinking that he'd be waking up any minute now, just as I get to sleep he'll wake up.

I woke up and wondered why I hadn't been woken up by my son's crying and I looked at the clock. 3am. Wha????? I lay there for a good 5 minutes, excited by this victory, and I didn't even worry (that much) that there was something wrong. But there was something wrong. With me. Because I'm still feeding Chanbe all through the night, and I hadn't fed him for almost 7 hours (count it people!!!! I wish I'd gone to bed at 8:30 too....) I was full. And in quite a bit of pain. I spent the next 20 minutes looking for my manual breast pump to ease the pain and discomfort. By this stage Hubs had woken up and was trying to get back to sleep while I was fretting around.

He said I had 2 options. Firstly, I could set up the electric pump and use that, (tooooo haaaaarrrd) or I could go and give Chanbe a dream feed (but but but what if he wakes up????) I chose the second option and was in and out in 5 minutes with him barely stirring. He did his job well, and apart from me knocking something over on the way out and almost waking him up, it went very well indeed. It was 3:45am by then. I could go back to sleep!!!

Except I couldn't. I know that this is more Alanis Morissette irony than actual irony, but there I was, with a baby who was sleeping through the night for the first time in months and months, and I couldn't sleep. My mind was racing. I worked out that I had left my breast pump at my friend's house in Wang, and thought about my sleeping baby. Would this happen again? Was I finally past the 2-hourly wake-ups? The last time I looked at the clock it was 4:30 so I figure I got to sleep some time before 5.

Chanbe woke up for good at 6:15 and after some play time in bed, Hubs took him for a walk so I could get some more sleep. I wonder what tonight will bring!?

1 comments: to “ Oh the irony so far...