First Days

Monday, July 21, 2008

It's been such an eventful week that it's hard to know where to start, so I'll begin with our "First Days" of uni and work. Hubsband started his 2 week bridging course for Medicine last Monday and had a pretty full week. He has met lots of new friends ranging in age from 23 to over 30. They had a pub session on Friday that started around 2pm and ended with last drinks at 10pm! I joined them at around 6pm after work (someone's gotta earn the beer money! They seem like a lot of fun and I'm sure he'll enjoy getting to know them over the next few years.

Here is a picture of Hubsband on his first day:


So now it's my turn. I registered with a recruitment agency and immediately found a job they were advertising that I thought would be great. So while I was there for my interview, I mentioned the job to my recruiter and she arranged for me to meet the person in charge of filling that position. That was on the Monday. I then had an interview for the job on Thursday at 2pm and the job was offered to me at 5:30pm! It's permanent part-time as the Memberships Administrator for Chemical Engineers in Australia and I'll be working 5 days a fortnight (Thurs, Fri and every 2nd Wed).

I had my first day there last Thursday and very soon realised that I was going to be working with the most difficult database known to mankind! The lady whose job I was taking over did 2 days of training with me which was really great but it's SERIOUSLY complex. She could tell that I was having a little freak-out on Friday morning and said to me that when she first started it took her quite a few weeks to feel comfortable with it and not to worry if it wasn't making sense just yet. That made me feel a bit better. I just hope I remember everything when I go back on Wednesday!!

Here's me on my first day of work:


So all in all, we both had successful first weeks in our new positions. I'll be looking for another part-time job to help pay for the beers (and the wines we just bought at the Yarra Valley this weekend, but that's another post to come!) so until then we'll just be drinking cask wine... AS IF!!!!

1 comments: to “ First Days so far...