Footy Fever

Friday, September 26, 2008

It's grand final weekend!!!! Exciting, I know! Hubs and I have only just started to get in to the AFL down here. We've picked our team - St Kilda - and since they're not in the final (they've only ever won 1 premiership) we'll just be watching the final tomorrow because that's what everyone else will be doing. There's a big parade through the city today which is a tradition that about 50,000 people go to see. I won't be one of them.

So to get into the footy fever, here's a photo of Hubs and I at a game a few weeks ago. We were barracking for our second team - the Bulldogs. (Not of the NRL!!! Yeuck)


The Bulldogs ended up winning this game which was exciting for our friend who is a HUGE Bulldogs fan (and isn't too happy that we've chosen the Saints over the Dogs). One of the most amusing things I find about AFL is that there are little breaks throughout the whole game, where someone is kicking a goal, where the number of people on the field suddenly doubles! There are people running in from everywhere with towels, drinks, pats on the back, and no doubt some magic spray! Here's what I'm talking about:


See all those people dressed in white?? They're freeloaders! Trying to get their 15 seconds of fame! Anyway, the atmosphere around here is very exciting and I'm sure Hubs and I will have a good time tomorrow.

Oh! In case you're wondering, the two teams in the final are Hawthorn Hawks and Geelong Cats. We're going for the Hawks because a) the Chaplain at the college is a huge fan and b) because my bro and his girlfriend live in Hawthorn... Brisbane. It's NOT because of their colours. Who wears Brown and Yellow together?? I mean, really...

1 comments: to “ Footy Fever so far...

  •  

    Wow - i thought you were exaggerating. But i count 12 people either in white, or wearing white trousers.

    Now I get why AFL clubs refer to the team as "the playing group" - to distinguish it from the 'team' of ground-invaders.