Wifey's World Cup

Monday, June 21, 2010

I stayed up on Saturday night to watch the Socceroos vs Ghana match, and it was a very exciting game indeed! I came away from that game feeling proud of the way we played and impressed by Australia's regrouping after the game against Germany. There was still a bit of OTT theatrics but on the whole, it was an enjoyable match. Our defence was more solid and Schwarzer seemed to be much more in control of his backline. Our goal was a great clean up of a tentative save by the Ghanan goal-keeper and the friends I was with got very excited indeed.

The mood changed when Kewell was given the red card, but after looking at countless replays and talking to people who live and breathe soccer, it would have been hard for the referee not to give it in that instance. I mean, it clearly wasn't deliberate, but it was an arm in front of a certain-goal, so it was a pretty expected call I would say. Disagree if you like, but I'm happy to move on from it.

So we're still in with a chance to make it to the knock-out round, albeit a small chance. Their next game is at 4:20am on Thursday and I'm going to try really really hard to get up for it. I have every good intention to do so, so wish me lots and lots of luck!!

0 comments: to “ Wifey's World Cup so far...