Songs for Labour

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

No, not Labor, Labour. (click if you dare!!! :-)

Here's what I've come up with so far:

The Paul Simon Anthology
5 Disc set of the 80s that Lsl gave me
Everything I own from the 80s and 90s
A bit of David Bowie
A few dozen (or hundred) They Might be Giants songs (I know we're a little late, but we are SO into them right now)
Cyndi Lauper (could be categorised in 80s and 90s but she deserves her own mention)
Roxette (see above)
Somewhere over the Rainbow/What a wonderful world. (On repeat.)
Some Miles From Nowhere. (Okay. All of it. With Hubs' permission :-) ) (Is there a better link than that one??)
Lily Allen (I'll try and limit the potty-mouth songs. That should be easy. Not.)

Any other suggestion? How many hours do I need? Do I just pick it all and chuck it on shuffle? Maybe I should add some calming, soothing tunes in there as well...

Hmmmmm......

7 comments: to “ Songs for Labour so far...

  •  

    Um, you do realise they're spelled differently, ie, Labor and labour?

    How could you go past Pink Floyd's 'Breathe'?

  •  

    Hee hee. Oops. Yes, I do realise that, but my brain hadn't quite caught up to my fingers. I suppose if I chose all the Pink Floyd albums, the labour might finish before the songs do!

  •  

    When Mum was pregnant with my youngest sister, a friend gave her a custom made 'relaxation tape' to play while waiting for baby... One of the songs I remember and still like is 'Lazybones' sung by Paul Robeson. I think there was also some Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong in the mix. I think Mum found it helpful and my sister is a pretty chilled out person... If I haven't said so already, congratulations! :)

  •  

    Ooooh I do like Ella Fitzgerald. Maybe I'll add some jazz and blues to the mix as well.
    And thanks!!

  •  

    You look good in my genes!!! Ah, a MFN classic.

    And Billy Jean OF COURSE!!

  •  

    My first rule was no song that I wouldn't be comfortable with my son being born to.

    After that, lots and lots of worship music. I didn't actually listen to the whole thing, but sometimes would tune into a line, and then that would become my mantra, I'd repeat 'Give it all to you God' or 'Praise you in all things'- I found it really helpful.

    As far as time? I laboured so long we ran the Ipod battery dead (we didn't burn a cd, just made a playlist and hooked the iPod up to the cd player). Guess that's the risk you run with a twelve hour labour though. Refused to put the radio on because I was scared that William would be born to some 'Eminem slap up your ho's' kind of song.

    We also had some fun stuff- like the transformers theme song...it made me burst out laughing every time I heard it, which helped :)

  •  

    Adding Michael Jackson as we speak. And I like the idea of some worship songs too, though Hubs might prefer The Lads or DC Talk.

    And good call on the "no radio" thing, although out here there would be more chance of our son/daughter being born to something like "she left me heartbroken and now all I have is my guitar, ute and kelpie" kind of song. :-)